According to SaveAndInvest.org, fraud costs Americans $50 billion annually. Protect yourself from fraud and identity theft by practicing these tips:
- Never give out personal information over the phone. If you receive an unexpected call from someone claiming to be with a financial institution you work with, end the call without giving any information. Then, contact the institution using a phone number you have on file and report the suspicious call.
- Never agree to buy or donate anything over the phone; ask for a written request.
- Don’t be afraid to say no.
- Do not wire money to anyone you don’t know.
- Never open an email, link, or electronic document from someone you don’t know.
- Shred documents with personal and/or sensitive information instead of just tossing them in the trash.
- Remember: if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.
For more fraud stats, check out the full infographic from SaveAndInvest.org.